Fwd: Re: default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

dnncastle dnncastle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:40:21 UTC 2014

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:22:53AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>>> I am fine with something like what is proposed by Steve above -
>>> let users have the GUI present an option that gives preference to
>>> the default without totally hiding other options.
>>>
>> To be clear, I don't really like that option at all. I was presenting
>> it to show how it's not a great user experience. That being said, if
>> everyone else (and especially QA) prefers that approach, I'm certainly
>> flexible on the point.
>>
>> I'm really hoping that the design, user experience, anaconda and QA
>> teams will make their opinions on this known. I know full well that
>> this is not my area of expertise. BCCing a few specific individuals to
>> hopefully get their input.
> I agree with Stephen here, assuming I'm understanding him correctly.  When
> you talk about choices in a UI, you start exponentially increasing the
> number of paths to do basically the same thing.
>
> Exposing a filesystem choice to users really degrades the user experience.
> Does everyone know what a filesystem is?  And if they know, do they know
> what the options are that we are presenting them?  Do they know the pros and
> the cons between them?  Do they really care that much?
>
> To me it sounds like the goal here is to advertise other filesystem options
> in the hopes that we get some drive-by interest by people doing first time
> installs.  10 years of bug reports tell me that people just don't care about
> that option.  A default is exactly that, a default.  We should pick a good
> default that is well supported across all of the architectures that we care
> about in Fedora.  By exposing a filesystem selection option at install time,
> we're really saying we have that many defaults.  Oh, and we need you to
> understand them so you can pick one.  Most people would probably leave that
> option alone, which begs the question: why have it at all?
>
> It's 2014 and we're still holding on to BTRFS as the solution to all of our
> filesystem problems.  That's fine, but it hasn't happened yet.  And as long
> as that's the story, we should expose something that's actually usable and
> recommended at install time.  I really see no value in offering slightly
> different filesystem options at install time.  If we want something
> different, it should become the new default.
>
> (For clarification, the above is speaking about the automatic partitioning
> code path, not custom partitioning.  Custom will likely always involve more
> knobs and controls for users, and many filesystem types.  But that's ok,
> custom is for those users.)

I am fine with having the custom partitioning be the place to deviate from the
defaults...

Ric

Speaking from experience, any new users to Fedora are really not going to know what an fs is, let alone which one would be best to pick. IMHO it really only confuses new people and would not really make them want to stick around long enough to figure out what an fs is all about. The "advanced setting/manual partioning" is something that tells the new guy there should probably be a little more study or thought put into what they are doing.  I believe that would be the place to give someone an option, not default settings on a guided path.

Danny

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone