[Base] Fedora Base Design Working Group (2014-02-21) meeting minutes and logs

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Mar 3 18:53:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 11:19:29AM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:

> > On Feb 21, 2014, at 2:38 PM, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> > The necessary context to add here is that both OS X and Windows have much better _post-install_ layout choices.
>
> I don't want to get ride of Anaconda's encryption options in Automatic or Manual partitioning UIs.
>
> I do want to get rid of ext2, ext3, vfat, and certainly RAID 4, in even the Manual Partitioning UI. And I question RAID 5/6 for rootfs.

I could go along with getting rid of ext2, ext3, vfat, and RAID 4.  I
think RAID 5/6 are still too common to eliminate them.

> > Both can convert a non-encrypted filesystem to encrypted post-installation, online, without significant downtime.
>
> Yes. At least Apple's is a live conversion (bi-directional) that permits rebooting, shutdown and sleep.
>
> >  Re: LVM, IIRC OS X is setting up CoreStorage by default; Windows uses plain partitions, but can convert plain partitions into Dynamic Disks without backup&restore.
>
> By default Apple uses plain partitions for single drive computers; and Core Storage marries an SSD and HDD as a single LV for computers with both and they call this "Fusion Drive". When the user choose to encrypt, this is handled by Core Storage; the plain partition volume is converted to a Core Storage layout.
>
> I don't know how it works on Windows.

There is a tool to convert ext4 to ext4-on-LVM in-place:

https://github.com/g2p/blocks#readme