default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 21:25:25 UTC 2014

On 03/03/2014 11:16 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 16:16 +0200, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>

>> I am fine with something like what is proposed by Steve above - let users have
>> the GUI present an option that gives preference to the default without totally
>> hiding other options.
> You and Josef are sending mixed messages here: "btrfs is fine, but just
> not ready to be the default" and "don't make it the default, but we
> still need users to install it so it can get better, so don't take away
> the option". I don't think that is reasonable - either it is ready to be
> widely used, ie the default, or it isn't in which case it shouldn't
> appear in the UI.
>
> I'm pretty firmly against filesystem choice in the workstation
> installer.

There are many things that are ready to be used but are not the default. Like
ext4 for example :)

I think it is not reasonable to assume that everything that is ready to use for
some users but is not ready to use as the default should be hidden but it is
reasonable to hide this in the advanced configuration menu as suggested by others.

Ric