default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 02:55:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 18:50 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 14:27 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 01:03:38PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > What I came up with is this gem:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_storage_matrix
> > [...]
> > > Some of this is susceptible to automation, but some is not, in the sense
> > > that it involves the UI, and automated UI testing is a giant PITA.
> >
> > There was a *great* talk at either FOSDEM or DevConf about what
> > OpenSUSE is using for automation of their UIs.  It's all open source,
> > easy to create the scripts using a GUI, and you can fiddle around with
> > bits of Javascript to fine tune the tests.
> >
> > Of course, now I cannot find the talk anywhere ...
> >
> > Anyone see / remember this?
>
> Don't really need it, we've already looked at SUSE's OpenQA thing. I saw
> it as soon as they announced it, and I've kept an eye on it since then.
> About once every two weeks *someone* mails me, another Fedora QA person,
> or test@ and says "hey, have you seen this OpenQA thing!??!?!" :P
>
> As GUI automated testing systems go, it's not a bad one. But it *does*
> suffer from the usual problems: mainly fragility. You can go to
> http://openqa.opensuse.org/results/ and note that the 'unknown' results
> are trending upwards over time. There are bad, mediocre and good GUI
> testing approaches out there, as with all things, but *even the good
> ones* need a lot of care and feeding.

BTW, don't get me wrong, this isn't stop energy - if anyone thinks
OpenQA is the coolest thing ever and has an immediate urge to go out and
set up an OpenQA instance for Fedora and write a bunch of tests and
start running them, you know, PLEASE DO. And of course let test@ know
and we'll try to help you out with resources. This is definitely a
'something beats nothing' situation.

I just want to make sure anyone who wants to do this goes in with an
accurate knowledge of the work that's likely to be involved. I also want
to explain that the folks we have in QA already who are interested in
working on tools are already full-time working on other things, and yes
we have considered OpenQA (and various other GUI automation frameworks,
and various other possible uses of our time apart from working on
Taskotron and the other tools we're working on), and come to the
conclusion that the stuff we're working on right now really is the most
important stuff to be working on right now.

We certainly do welcome anyone who wants to spend some of their spare
cycles working on OTHER things, though. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey