default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 03:05:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 08:59 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> Now, if you want to talk about having some sort of click-through for
> "I want to try out some experimental options without going all the way
> to customizing my layout manually", that (to me) needs to be a
> different, third path. But listing it directly alongside the default
> gives a false expectation.

"Custom" partitioning actually already provides this path.

It would probably be helpful for everyone following this debate to grab
a VM and do a few test installs of a recent F21 nightly, so everyone's
clear on the UI we're actually debating.

When you go into custom partitioning in F21, there's a "create
partitions for me" option (as there was before), and there's now also
the 'filesystem type' dropdown box for that choice. So if you just want
to get a 'default' btrfs layout, you can go into custom partitioning,
change the dropdown to btrfs, hit 'create partitions for me', and you're
done (assuming you had some free space available).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey