F21 System Wide Change: cron to systemd time units

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Mar 4 17:42:55 UTC 2014

>  On 03/04/2014 02:54 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>
>  Hello,
>
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: cron to systemd time units =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/cron-to-systemd-time-units
>>

> I'm not so sure this should be a system wide change since the migration it
> self affects less then half of total shipped cron jobs and for those that
> arent it only updates the components specfile to current packaging
> guidelines.

"System-wide" is defined "not self-contained", not "touching absolutely
everything".  It is likely appropriate in ths case.

 * Policies and guidelines:

 ** Adjust packaging guidelines to mention migration of cron jobs to timer
> units for packages that already depend on systemd

 Last time this was discussed in
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-02-06/fesco.2013-02-06-18.00.log.html,
there were concerns about "confusion of users/admins", specifically
referring to the disabling a .service / disabling a .socket duality.  So we
will need packaging guidelines not only for the migration, but for the
timer units themselves.

> Not following here we already have packaging guidelines for systemd units

Those guidelines don't contain the word "timer" at all.  Perhaps they are
already sufficient; if so, that's not immediately obvious.
     Mirek