hierarchical comps groups proposal

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 08:40:34 UTC 2014

Hi,

I would like to suggest the idea of adding support for
hierarchical comps groups to Fedora.

The idea is make yum groups in comps more modular,
ie groups could require other groups not just packages;
at this time I don't think it would require any GUI changes.
Currently comps is quite linear (flat) and we have
to do silly things like adding a group to add a package to
an environment group,  and duplicating certain sets of packages
across certain groups. Hierarchical groups would allow more flexible
package group choices, avoid package repetition in comps, and
also allow people to install what they need more precisely.

eg Someone might only want to install @gnome-core-desktop
@mate-core-desktop, @asian-fonts, etc.  I am sure there are
many more possible examples.

With the Fedora.next initiative now seems a good time to do this.
It should probably be made a system-wide change proposal
(I only noticed the deadline this week!)
but I wanted to post here first for discussion since
I think it needs changes to yum, dnf, and maybe other tools.

I would be happy to help (at least) prepare a Change proposal for
this, specially if other people (stakeholders) are willing
to help make this happen.

Jens