hierarchical comps groups proposal

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Mar 5 11:19:35 UTC 2014

> I would like to suggest the idea of adding support for
> hierarchical comps groups to Fedora.

(I'm not going to contribute actual work on this anyway, but) do we
actually need that complexity?

> The idea is make yum groups in comps more modular,
> ie groups could require other groups not just packages;
> at this time I don't think it would require any GUI changes.

So the proposal is not to show them as really hierarchical, and not to add
any structurally new user-visible features[1] just to avoid repetition in
the comps file?

Would it be an option to use an XML entity for the duplicated parts, or a
similar preprocessing step during generation of comps.xml, to create the
current group format instead?  That would have the advantage of not having
to adjust yum/dnf/anaconda to support the new feature.
    Mirek

[1] Having more groups available is certainly a feature, but not
"structurally new", i.e. it keeps the existing usage model.