Read this if your package includes a status notifier / system tray icon

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 5 20:17:14 UTC 2014

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Of course, you can also just stop using status icons and instead inform
> the user with notifications when something requires his immediate
> attention. That will work under any desktop.

I forgot to point out that libappindicator also supports automatic fallback
to the legacy XEmbed-based spec, so it should work everywhere, too (even in
GNOME Shell's message tray (no extensions required), or with
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/ even the way the icons
were designed to be displayed).

        Kevin Kofler