Sshd getting 'dyntransition' AVC's in SElinux enforcing mode

Dan Callaghan dcallagh at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 06:43:26 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Daniel J Walsh's message of 2014-01-03 01:46:44 +1000:
> This is caused by sshd running with the wrong label, It should be
> running as sshd_t not init_t.  If the executable labeled sshd_exec_t?
>
> ls -lZ /usr/sbin/sshd
>
> restorecon -v /usr/sbin/sshd
>
> should fix the label.

I started getting the same AVC denials a week or so ago. My
/usr/sbin/sshd was indeed wrongly labelled:

$ ll -Z /usr/sbin/sshd
-rwxr-xr-x. root root unconfined_u:object_r:bin_t:s0   /usr/sbin/sshd
$ sudo restorecon -v /usr/sbin/sshd
restorecon reset /usr/sbin/sshd context unconfined_u:object_r:bin_t:s0->unconfined_u:object_r:sshd_exec_t:s0

What I'm wondering is, how did it become wrongly labelled? Nothing else
on my filesystem was wrong, according to restorecon.

The errors only appear in my logs after sshd was restarted on 24 Feb for
a yum upgrade. The updated packages included:

selinux-policy-3.12.1-122.fc20.noarch
openssh-server-6.4p1-3.fc20.x86_64

(among many others). Any hints on how I can figure out what went wrong
with the labelling of /usr/sbin/sshd?

--
Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
Software Engineer, Hosted & Shared Services