Proposal: Don't show applications in the software center with XPM icons

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:41:00 UTC 2014

XPM is an old standard for icons used by a very small number of
desktop packages in Fedora. The XPM icons are normally small, mostly 8
bit, and usually without an alpha channel and look very bad in the
software center.

I'm going to propose for F21 that we drop support for XPM in the
metadata extractor and only show apps with GIF, PNG and SVG icons. The
list of affected GUI applications is here:

TeXmacs
cycle
flamerobin
gnurobots
linsmith
mup
pari-gp
pgadmin3
qtel
qucs
xsensors

As usual, I'd like to push packagers to get upstream to ship a more
modern (and high resolution, *with* alpha channel) icon in PNG or SVG
format, but packagers can also just replace the icon referenced in the
.desktop file if upstream is unwilling / dead and a good replacement
is available.

Comments welcome,

Richard