Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2014-03-05)

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 09:49:05 UTC 2014

On 03/06/2014 06:00 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 03:50:37PM +0100, drago01 wrote:
>> For instance we named a release "beefy miracle" and that might have
>> been offensive for some people (ex. in India)., but
>> apparently no one cared enough to "officially" complain.
>
> Additionally, there is a fundamental difference here. The problem isn't that
> someone might be offended -- people might be (and are) offended by anything.
> The problem is that the logo refers to a marginalized race of people using
> stereotyped imagery. While many people do not eat beef and hold cows sacred,
> the beefy miracle logo does not make any reference to those people. If it
> did, it too would have been a problem.

It seems this tabooization of stereotypes[0] is a North American concept
(though, as I was surprised to learn, apparently there are entire fields
of study around this area, which I admit I'm not familiar with).
I don't get how referring to a marginalized people using stereotyped
imagery should be considered "offensive" in Fedora while sacrilege
should not. I really don't see any fundamental difference. (Though -- or
maybe because -- neither are offensive to me personally.)

Please, consider that there are cultures other than your own. What seems
inherently right for you may seem confusing or even absurd to others,
and on the other hand what seems trivial to you might be a huge issue
for others.

--
PetrĀ³

[0] Pardon me if this simplification is offensive. The whole concept is
foreign to me.