Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2014-03-05)

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 11:17:48 UTC 2014

On 03/07/2014 10:59 AM, H. Guémar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think that worrying about perpetuating offensive stereotypes
> is specifc to the US, we have similar controversies in Europe:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banania#Controversy
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet#Controversies

Well, read the second article. "92% of the Dutch public don't perceive
Zwarte Piet as racist". I'm not saying it is or is not, or that it
should or should not be fixed; I'm saying that there is a culture where
this is not perceived as a big deal, as opposed to USA where political
correctness is a big deal.

> Anyway, the line between what is acceptable and unacceptable in Fedora
> should be that no one should be offended by something that directly
> refers to him or his origins in a negative or hurtful way.

My point is that the list "him/her and his/her origins" seems rather
arbitrary. Why is e.g. "his/her religion" not on the list?
I'm not saying where the line should be drawn, that is obviously
something a single person (or a single culture) shouldn't decide.

(By the way, excluding females by saying "he" when you mean anybody is
seriously offensive to some. Again, from what I can tell, this is a big
issue in the American culture.)

> I have no opinion about the Cherokee logo, as an European citizen, it
> looks to me very innocent (a little child playing) but if it offends
> native americans, it should be fixed anyway.

I also don't see how anyone could be offended by it, but I understand
that there is a culture that I don't understand :)

--
Petr³