F20 Self Contained Change: Snapshot and Rollback Tool

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Mar 7 14:30:37 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> I don't think that's accurate.  OSTree doesn't touch /home from what I
> remember.  It is only concerned with /usr and to as minimal a degree
> as possible /etc.  People likely still want snapshot and rollback for
> their actual _data_ as well.

Exactly, I think block/filesystem level storage are potential
complements.

Many competently-maintained systems already have backup solutions for
data though.  In fact, Anaconda defaults to having it on a separate
partition in some configurations precisely so that one can just blow
away the root partition and preserve /home.

Also, remember than on an OSTree system, /home is just a symlink to
/var/home - *all* local mutable state lives in /var.