Proposal: Don't show applications in the software center with XPM icons

Bill Nottingham notting at splat.cc
Fri Mar 7 16:06:19 UTC 2014

Richard Hughes (hughsient at gmail.com) said:
> On 6 March 2014 18:51, Tim Lauridsen <tim.lauridsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not showing app, because they have bad looking icons, seems like a bad idea
> > to me.
>
> I'm not sure anyone will be surprised in my goal of making the
> applications we show users have high quality content. XPM icons are a
> good first step, then it'll be things like missing icon transparency,
> AppData, translated AppData over the next few releases. The
> alternative is we set the bar so high that only a dozen or so apps are
> visible at first and the software center is useless for most users. I
> also hope people are noticing the *hundreds* of upstream bugs I've
> opened trying to raise the bar for all applications, rather than just
> a "thou shall do X, Y, Z".

So, perhaps this is just window dressing, but I wonder if this can be
messaged better as "change all XPM icons to nicer formats", "add translated
AppData for all apps", etc.

It may not make much difference in the end, but it might be read better as
"Here's how we can help make your app more awesome by fixing XYZ" as opposed to "We're
going to stop showing your app because of XYZ."

And, to be fair, I suspect that's what all these upstream bugs are.

Bill