Read this if your package includes a status notifier / system tray icon

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 7 17:22:23 UTC 2014

Am 07.03.2014 18:16, schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 00:18 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> * change requests that would have broken compatibility with the existing
>> implementations of the protocol already in wide use for little to no
>> practical benefit, such as nitpicking about the names of some D-Bus methods.
>
> So just because something is in use, but hasn't been standardized or
> been through any kind of standardization discussion, it should
> automatically be adopted as-is?  I think not...

in case of changes gaining less to zero -> YES

you can't make vague specifications not forbid naming things in
a way, wait months and years until it is widely used and then
come out and say "oh and now we strictly say how to use it and
expect everybody out there to change any existing code"

that happens way too often in the open source world while in
a company you get instantly fired acting that way and demand
all others to sped their time for changes you enforce if you
can't prove a very good reason for doing so