Proposal: Don't show applications in the software center with XPM icons

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 17:16:04 UTC 2014

On 06/03/14 13:51, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Not showing app, because they have bad looking icons, seems like a bad
> idea to me.
>
> what about using some cairo magic to merge the .xpm icon with some
> other .png frame to make it look better
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10983739/how-to-composite-multiple-png-into-a-single-png-using-gtk-cairo
>
> cairo should be able to load XPM, as far as I know
>
> Or just show some standard icon base on the app category
>
> Tim

IMHO, the proposal was less of

"let's remove ugly icons"

and more

"lets hide applications that use icons in this particular format that
doesn't support the features of the software application"

It is still possible to have ugly icons, they just have to be in PNG,
GIF or SVG format.

cheers,
ryanlerch