Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2014-03-05)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 22:33:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 22:52 +0100, drago01 wrote:

> > There is at least one starkly obvious difference there, which is that
> > you choose your religious beliefs and affiliations; you do not choose
> > your race/color/general genetic origin.
>
> Well people can choose to not be offended by random images / texts / whatever.
> There is is the option of "just ignore".

That is not a true choice. "Ignoring" the effect of marginalization that
such offensive texts ignore is, effectively, opting into it.

I'm gay. I can "choose to ignore it" when people yell 'faggot!' at me,
but it's not a choice I should be forced, required or expected to make,
and in a sense, it feels like a betrayal to the group being
discriminated against to do so. Not speaking out is, in a sense,
tantamount to accepting that sort of treatment as OK. (Not to criticize
those in this or other commonly-discriminated-against groups who do
choose to ignore offensive acts; there *are* valid reasons to make that
choice in some circumstances, but it is not OK to say "well, that's just
what you should always do.")

> But unfortunatly a lot of people don't think that way.

There are reasons why.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey