audio/video software

LM lmemsm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 16:37:15 UTC 2014

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong list to post to.  I tried
posting/asking through the fedora-join mailing list and got no
response at all.

I'm doing some research for an article on patent unencumbered Open
Source software at:
https://schoolforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Patents_and_Open_Source

Is anyone currently working on software that fits this category?  For
example, I've been looking at the source code for
xine-lib-1.1.21-pruned.tar.xz.  It hasn't been updated in a while and
a newer version of xine in source control and Sourceforge has support
for webm and some other useful formats.  Is anyone looking into adding
webm support to the pruned version of xine?  I think I have the
pruning script pretty much updated for the latest version of the
library.  Still working through some patches to get the library to
compile without the patent encumbered code.  (Latest version is more
dependent on ffmpeg and related libraries than the previous version
was, but it should build without it with some patching.)  Is anyone
else working on a project along these lines?  Also couldn't a library
like smpeg be useful for playing certain types of videos if mp3 code
was pruned?  Just wondering if there are any developers working on
these sorts of projects or related ones for Fedora.  It would be nice
to compare notes and possibly share patches/scripts.

If anyone has other resources or projects or documentation they can
recommend for the wiki article, suggestions would be very much
appreciated.  I'm sure they'd be of help to educators concerned with
these issues.  Thanks.