Read this if your package includes a status notifier / system tray icon

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:12:15 UTC 2014

Hi

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > If a single desktop environment wants to just implement something, they
> > can go ahead and do so but that doesn't make it a real specification.
>  For
> > other desktop environments to adopt it, it needs to be a collaborative
> and
> > shared effort.  Part of that is addressing concerns and bringing more
> > clarity so that multiple implementations are compatible.  Unstated
> > assumptions lead precisely to the kind of problems you are talking about.
>
> Yet GNOME works exactly the same way with their own specs:

That is a poor justification.  You can do the right thing regardless of
what the other party (regardless of whether I buy into your
characterization).

> Have you seen the changes they requested?

Yes and I am convinced that not enough effort was taken to address the
concerns expressed.  This is probably lost opportunity already but one
could strive to do better on future specs.

Rahul