[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 9 14:49:27 UTC 2014

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Directory and file interaction is a hard problem. There's no right thing
> to do in this case.  The many possible things we could do all have one
> drawback or another in certain cases.

The right thing is clear: If all the files inside the directory are owned by
packages about to be removed in the transaction, just rm -rf the directory
(or rather the equivalent in C code), otherwise rename it with a suffix
(.rpmsave, if necessary .rpmsave0, .rpmsave1, … , .rpmsave10, …) and only
delete the files owned by packages about to be removed in the transaction.

With subdirectories, you do the same recursively: First you process the
subdirectory (from the deepest level up), then once it is processed, it can
be treated like a file.

        Kevin Kofler