[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 10 02:35:03 UTC 2014

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Right. CLEARLY this would've been Just The Thing to do when /bin changed
> from a directory to a /usr/bin symlink. Right?

That UsrMove nonsense was just the wrong thing to do altogether, we are
still suffering the consequences of the mess, as evidenced by that other
guideline about packages installing to /bin vs. /usr/bin.

As I wrote in my other reply, you cannot rename the directory away if it
contains files owned by other packages that are not being removed in the
transaction. When replacing the directory with a file, that case should be
treated like a file conflict and fail the transaction. When replacing the
directory with a symlink to another directory, we could be smart and try to
merge the 2 directories like the dracut convertfs plugin does, but even if
we would still get an error in that particular case, it'd still be an
improvement over the status quo.

The cases we keep running into are cases where the directory ONLY contains
files from packages about to be removed (and possibly random unowned crap
thrown in by the local sysadmin, which RPM is also happy to trash in other
situations, so keeping it in a renamed directory is already being nice).

        Kevin Kofler