ostree/fedora atomic and impact on the mirror network

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 10 13:19:42 UTC 2014

So, I've been thinking about Colin Walters' ostree project (Fedora Atomic
Initiative) -- see <http://sched.co/1eVhZ05>. One of the concerns I have is
with requirements on the mirror network. Right now, the impact on mirrors of
an update is a few metadata requests plus one per package. It seems like
ostree could be significantly worse, with requests _per file_.

Colin, I know you've thought about this some (like gnome list post
<https://mail.gnome.org/archives/ostree-list/2013-July/msg00005.html>); can
you talk a little bit about the current and near-future state of that?