[Owner-change] Fedora packages ownership change

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Mon Mar 10 16:33:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 04:59:23PM +0100, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:39:44AM -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 6:00 AM, wrote:
> >
> > > Change in ownership over the last 168 hours
> > > ===========================================
> > >
> > > 20 packages were orphaned
> > >

> > It is entirely unclear from this report whether any of the packages in this
> > list remain orphaned or have they all been picked up.  It would be useful
> > to know whether packages that one tends to rely on are getting orphaned.
>
> e.g
> python-selenium was orphaned by halfie and is currently (still?)
> owned by halfie.
>
> The list of orphaned packages can be just a snapshot, as that's in
> continuous flux. It's totally non obvious, why a package was orphaned
> (by accident, because of upstream is dead, lack of time, ...)

There is indeed a significant number of packages listed here which are reported
to have been orphaned and yet appears to still be owned by their original
owner. We had a small glitch last week on the network so maybe we failed to get
some messages (in this case the messages that the owner unorphaned the packages
that they had orphaned before). That is the only explanation I can come up with
at the moment.

[...]

Looking with datagrepper, both orphaned and unorphaned action seems to have
happened and made it to datagrepper:
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/datagrepper/id?id=2014-a6b37016-69a1-4ec1-9b32-fc4c12bc4875&is_raw=true&size=extra-large
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/datagrepper/id?id=2014-ab57aeb0-67d0-432b-86eb-cea621873670&is_raw=true&size=extra-large

That's something that the script should have catched (since it relies on
datagrepper as source of information). I'll need to look a little more into this

Thanks for the heads-up,
Pierre