Per-Product Config file divergence

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 10 18:09:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:09:43AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > What will fedup updates of Fedora 20 look like? Would there be a flag,
> > e.g. --product cloud/workstation/server? If not specified do we fail, or
> > is there a default?
> The default should be whatever product was installed onto the system
> originally.  Going from Fedora 20 to a Product in F21 is probably a one-off
> but I'm not sure what that should look like.  I could be totally wrong but
> I believe that each of the Products will have their own install image.  With
> that in mind, fedup might need a one-off bit of UI to ask which Product
> image you want to use.  That image would then set the Product on the disk
> accordingly.

I assume that we'll do something that makes it easy to read the existing
product from the system -- I like fedora-release +
fedora-release-{workstation,server,cloud} subpackages.

And I think those subpackages probably _should_ conflict, don't you?

I guess with the new /etc/os-release format, that file could be part of the
proposed alternatives scheme, with the base package providing a default and
each of the product release files possibly updating it.

I'm not quite sure how to handle OS variants with os-release. Either put the
product/variant name in NAME and ID, ("Fedora Cloud", "fedora-cloud") and
ID_LIKE to specify "fedora". But ID_LIKE makes very weak claims about what
"like" means -- it is "in same general family as", not "is an example of".
So, maybe it would be best to coordinate an extension to that format, so
that there are subsets to ID? (So we can have family, genus, and species...)