audio/video software

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 22:22:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 08:04 -0400, LM wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >Please search the list archives before proposing such a thing.
>
> I apologize if I've offended you, but I have every intention of
> continuing with the project.  I simply asked what the status of a
> patent unencumbered version of libxine was on Fedora on behalf of an
> educational project I'm working with.  The educational project is not
> Fedora based.  It's for educators everywhere using a variety of
> systems (Linux, Mac, Windows).  I think it's an admirable goal to
> encourage Open Source in education.  However, if one can't legally
> create videos or play them back without running into legal issues, how
> does one encourage schools to use Open Source and non-proprietary
> formats?

Kevin was addressing xine specifically. There are plenty of other
playback libraries/frameworks.

Gstreamer is quite widely used these days, and is very modular.
Gstreamer plugins for unencumbered formats are shipped in the main
Fedora repositories, and gstreamer-based players like Totem will play
such formats fine.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey