Per-Product Config file divergence

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 11 03:27:42 UTC 2014

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> The idea is to allow config file divergence via the alternatives system as
> that already provides us with a commandline tool and some structure to
> build on.  We'd still have to write a few pieces to complete the picture
> but it seemed to be a better starting point than using rpm Conflicts
> between config-packages.

Alternatives is a horrible solution to this problem. (In fact, alternatives
is a horrible solution to ANY problem it is used on.)

What's wrong with just dropping the defaults in /etc in the Product's live
kickstart? (Yes, that assumes the Product is delivered as a live image. We
really need to do away with those non-live installers. They only cause
problems and have no practical benefits.) That's how we have always set
/etc/sysconfig/desktop in the KDE image:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-live-kde-base.ks#n10
Those files should then never be automatically written to again, letting the
local system administrator customize the settings to his or her liking.

        Kevin Kofler