Proposal: Don't show applications in the software center with XPM icons

Gilles J. Seguin segg2 at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 11 23:07:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-06 at 15:41 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> XPM is an old standard for icons used by a very small number of
> desktop packages in Fedora. The XPM icons are normally small, mostly 8
> bit, and usually without an alpha channel and look very bad in the
> software center.
>
> I'm going to propose for F21 that we drop support for XPM in the
> metadata extractor and only show apps with GIF, PNG and SVG icons. The
> list of affected GUI applications is here:
>
> TeXmacs
> cycle
> flamerobin
> gnurobots
> linsmith
> mup
> pari-gp
> pgadmin3
> qtel
> qucs
> xsensors
>
> As usual, I'd like to push packagers to get upstream to ship a more
> modern (and high resolution, *with* alpha channel) icon in PNG or SVG
> format, but packagers can also just replace the icon referenced in the
> .desktop file if upstream is unwilling / dead and a good replacement
> is available.
>
> Comments welcome,
>
> Richard
-1
I vote against
reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPM_%28image_format%29
your arguments about transparent pixels is wrong, and XPM is more
flexible than the others one.

- i do not want to break with the unix tradition of supporting legacy
  applications
  - are xpm icons still allow in default icon directories
  - what will be the beahavior if included
- i do not agree with the pejorative used of old standard
  - xpm is still the only way to include raster images in "C" programs
    example #include "xicon64" directives
- is the proposition include commenting xlib library manuals for fedora
  particular used of icons.
- xbitmap is the only mechanism to specify 15 bits display screen,
  or dispaly with depth different from 8,16,24
- xbitmap can be 32 bits deep
- xbitmap may have alpha channels specified has masks
- xbitmap allow compositing more complex icons
and obviously bitmap is also implied, since they are XPM of depth one