Five Things in Fedora This Week (2014-03-18)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 18 20:50:43 UTC 2014

Reposting from <http://fedoramagazine.org/?p=1231>, for those of you who
prefer email to the web. :)

Fedora is big project, and it’s hard to follow it all. This new Fedora
Magazine feature will highlight interesting happenings in five different
areas every week. It won’t be comprehensive news coverage — just quick
summaries and links to each. So, here we go for March 18th, 2014:

Flock 2014 registration and talk proposals open

In case you missed the article in Fedora Magazine a few days ago… don’t miss
it. The website at <http://flocktofedora.org/>, and the talk proposal
deadline is coming up fast: April 3rd, 2014.

Fedora 21 feature planning in progress
--------------------------------------

Looking to do something new for Fedora 21? The initial schedule is set and
many changes are already accepted by FESCo. Submission deadline is April
8th, 2014. If you have something to add, find out how at
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy>.

Ambassadors discuss inactive memberships
for marking the memberships of people who aren’t actively participating as
inactive. Looks like there’s wide support for the low-overhead, non-punitive
proposal (which allows easy reactivation).

KDE talks about Fedora Products
-------------------------------

<https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2014-March/013196.html>

Another interesting discussion: KDE SIG is working on a proposal for “Fedora
Plasma”, a desktop product focused at educational and scientific use. FESCo
and the Fedora Advisory Board have previously approved the governance and
PRDs for Cloud, Server, and Workstation (the latter of which recently
elected to use Gnome as the base). It will be interesting to see how this
all fits together.

Planning for new Fedora web design
----------------------------------

The Fedora Websites and Design teams are working on refreshed websites in
support of Fedora.next. I’m cheating a bit because some this is more than a
week old, but it’s all still in progress. This includes an ambitious plan
for a new community hub, although initial work focuses on updating the Get
Fedora “brochure” site.

Endnote
-------
So that’s it for this week. If something didn’t make the list and you think
it should have, that probably just means I missed it, not that it wasn’t
important. Please drop me a line and we’ll make this better next time.

Bonus mailing list questions!

Is it helpful to post this here? If so, is full text important, or is
posting a link to the web site fine? Would it be helpful to post it to other
lists as well or instead? What about repurposing the defunct "news" mailing
list for just this purpose?