rfc: EFI System partition, FAT32, repair and non-persistent mount

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Mar 19 00:19:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, 18.03.14 15:07, Chris Murphy (lists at colorremedies.com) wrote:

> > Fedora takes a different approach though, and will mount an explicit
> > boot partition to /boot and the ESP to /boot/efi, and do so
> > unconditionally without involving autofs.  Fedora could add
> > "x-systemd-automount" to the mount options of /boot/efi, and thus
> > turning /boot/efi into an autofs too.
>
> When I add x-systemd.automount to fstab for /boot/efi, it still gets
> mounted on every boot.

Ah, yeah sorry, forgot to mention, you need to also add "noauto" to the
line. If it is "auto" we'll still wait for the mount unit to complete.

Basically, combining x-systemd.automount + auto is just a away to speed
up boot by fscking in the bg while the mount point is already
established. After boot the file system will be mounted as if
x-systemd.automount hadn't been used.

Combining x-systemd.automount + noauto however is a way to establish a
mount point and only lazily triggering it on access. And that's what you
want to use here.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat