policy on pkg-config?

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 10:30:05 UTC 2014

Hello,
 Is there some policy for package maintainers and pkg-config? My issue
is that a package (libev) used pkg-config for some time, but later
dropped it (for legitimate reasons as upstream didn't like that).
However, should we really care about upstream in cases like that?

I was making a package that depended on libev and was using:
"pkg-config --cflags libev"
to obtain the CFLAGS in order to compile (libev is installed in a
non-standard path in Fedora). Now in rawhide that libev doesn't install
the pkg-config file, I have to hard code -I/usr/include/libev in my
spec.

Apart from the annoyance from having to change my spec file for such a
change, I find the latter sub-optimal. Now my package hard-codes another
package's installation path (that may theoretically change at any
point). Wouldn't in that case, where non-standard paths are being used,
be better to have the pkg-config file in fedora, even if upstream
doesn't adopt it?

regards,
Nikos