fail2ban + firewalld suggestions needed

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Mar 20 16:17:46 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 12:24 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 03/19/2014 02:56 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 02:32:40PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> Hmm, I like this alternative a lot.  I'm probably taking this too
>>> far, but I'm thinking of:
>>>
>>> fail2ban-server - core components with minimal deps
>>>
>>> fail2ban-firewalld - firewalld support/configuration - requires firewalld
>>> fail2ban-hostsdeny - tcp_wrappers hosts.deny support - requires tcp_wrappers
>>> fail2ban-mail      - mail actions                    - requires /usr/bin/mail
>>> fail2ban-sendmail  - sendmail actions                - requires /usr/sbin/sendmail
>>> fail2ban-shorewall - shorewall support               - requires shorewall
>>> fail2ban-systemd   - systemd journal configuration
>>>
>>> fail2ban - default component - installs -firewalld,-sendmail,-systemd
>>> fail2ban-all - installs everything - also requires /usr/bin/whois
>>>
>>> Comments?
>> That _might_ be going overboard. But it certainly does allow a lot of
>> flexibility. Somewhere there is a balance between that flexibility and the
>> extra packaging work and potential user confusion, and I'm not exactly sure
>> where that line is in this case. :)
> This seemed reasonable to me so I've gone with it in rawhide now.
> Testing welcome.

I am concerned that this looks like configuring the fail2ban package by
installing more packages. If we started doing it everywhere multiple
packages interact, it would combinatorially explode  the number of
packages and make the system harder to maintain, not easier. Among other
things, it would make managing the subsystem on Fedora different than
everywhere else including upstream.

It's certainly a neat trick (down with obscure config files!), but the
approach does not scale. Taking this to extreme, we'd be doing yum
install emacs-vim-mode.