rfc: EFI System partition, FAT32, repair and non-persistent mount

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 18:01:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 10:07 -0700, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 12:32 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> >
> >> Adam's scheme is the only possibility.
> >
> >> Adam's raid1 /boot just seems more
> >> reliable, especially if it became a designed feature.
> >
> > It's not my plan, it's the anaconda developers'. I only described it.
> > Actually it took them like 15 minutes to get it into my dumb brain. :)
>
> Can you all please try to make sure you're talking about the same thing?

> I believe that Chris is suggesting /boot as raid1 and ESP not mounted.

He is also giving feedback on the ESP-as-RAID1 idea. He's both doing
that *and* proposing an alternative, which may be what you're missing. I
don't think anyone but you is confused about the alternative ideas here.

> Adam and Przemek seem to be talking about /boot on RAID1 (I've never
> heard anyone say that /boot as RAID is a bad idea) but I think
> something's very confused about my understanding of your opinions
> about how the ESP should or does work.  Can one or both of you please
> describe, unambiguously, how you think the ESP should be created, when
> and if it should be mounted, what filesystem and/or raid config should
> be used to mount it, and what should happen when a kernel is updated?

I thought I already did. Just go back and read my original mail again.
And again, it's nothing about what "I think", I was simply describing a
potential design which had been explained to me by someone else.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey