rfc: EFI System partition, FAT32, repair and non-persistent mount

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 19:39:15 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 20:20 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 19.03.14 18:51, Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) wrote:
>
> > > More complex than trying to mirror a FAT ESP partition across multiple
> > > boot disks, keeping it properly synchronized, because RAID isn't
> > > supported?
> >
> > You can in theory just have a bunch of RAID-1 (mirrored) ESPs, because
> > of how RAID-1 works; each individual member can also be mounted as if it
> > was just a plain old partition, which is how the firmware will mount it.
> > The anaconda devs have thought about this, and are planning to implement
> > it. On the UEFI side you just write entries for each of the ESPs into
> > the EFI boot manager. If one of them fails, then the firmware will boot
> > from the next in line.
>
> I'd really stay away from doing anything RAID related with the ESP.
>
> We really shouldn't have the same partition multiple times with the same
> uuid and stuff. That is a call for trouble.
>
> This is a really awful idea. Really, things like the pre-kernel boot
> logic should be kept simple, and what you are suggesting there is just
> frickin' crazy.

Sigh, for the fourth time, I'm not suggesting it. It's not my idea. I'm
not going to defend it. I'm relaying a design that was outlined to me by
the anaconda devs. The motivation is that there have been multiple
requests to make it possible to have a redundant boot chain on native
UEFI installs, as you can on native BIOS installs.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey