rfc: EFI System partition, FAT32, repair and non-persistent mount

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 20 19:58:18 UTC 2014

On Mar 20, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Sigh, for the fourth time, I'm not suggesting it. It's not my idea. I'm
> not going to defend it. I'm relaying a design that was outlined to me by
> the anaconda devs. The motivation is that there have been multiple
> requests to make it possible to have a redundant boot chain on native
> UEFI installs, as you can on native BIOS installs.

Sure but the burden is on whatever installs to or modifies the ESP. Anaconda needs to create the required ESPs on each selected device, install the bootloader to each ESP, and then either:

a. mount and call grub2-mkconfig on each ESP in turn
b. write a basic forwarding grub.cfg on each ESP, and grub2-mkconfig in the normal location /boot/grub2.

For kernel updates:

a. means either the kernel package or grubby must be capable of finding and mounting each ESP, and updating their grub.cfg's.
b. means doing nothing new. Grubby updates grub.cfg at /boot/grub2, which is made redundant by virtue of whatever the underlying scheme is for the boot volume.

The b. path is easier for both single device and multiple device installs than what we have now; and it essentially eliminate needing to update or sync ESPs, and therefore no need to auto or persistently mount it. It kills multiple birds with one stone. (Sorry birds.)

Chris Murphy