What will happen to XFCE, LXDE, Mate, Cinnemon in Fedora.Next

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 09:02:56 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 03/19/2014 01:09 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > There is also a proposal for a "Fedora Plasma" product based around KDE.
> > I'm
> > personally a little skeptical but listening -- I think want a technology
> > showcase masquerading as a product would miss the point, and I'd like to be
> > convinced that this is more than that.
> >
> > We have an open question in FESCo over whether KDE should be release
> > blocking (there's a ticket for today's meeting), and there's some debate
> > over whether it's necessary for a desktop to be represented at the product
> > level in order to be considered blocking. (And I think that this issue is
> > driving the product push to some degree.)
>
> My take on this is:
>
> KDE should not be a top level Product. In my opinion, Fedora should only
> produce the currently listed 3 Products and not more. Otherwise we get
> back at square 1 where we have too many offerings and nobody knows what
> makes a supported Fedora.
> Kubuntu is to Ubuntu now.

I really can't agree with only three products doctrine forever. That's why
I personally call it multiple products initiative :). On the other hand I
completely agree with high bar pushed on products. So I don't expect we would
ever end with more than a few products - it's still manageable and it's the
message to the community - hey, we are still pretty much inclusive distro,
come and convince us, you can make it. We're Fedora, not Ubuntu - ask
Kubuntu guys for opinion :).

Also this high bar leads to another question - exactly opposite to the
escalation of spin to product. What if one of multiple products stops to
fulfil these high bar standards? I know, it does not make sense to have
policy for it now but it's just one piece of puzzle...

And believe me - during the release I wish we have only one product with one
package and one use case and one test. Life of many folks involved in
release would be much more happier :).

Jaroslav