Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sat Mar 22 02:05:47 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21.03.14 23:35, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> > In other words you are telling us that now to get something implemented or removed in Fedora we have to not only
> > deal with our usual politics and bureaucracy but also all the downstream distribution to us as well...
>
> no, in other words he told you that whe world is not turning around
> a few people deperecating anything which does not get a update for
> the sake of a update and what some people calling  "legacy" might
> be things not needing updates because they just works and update
> and replace/drop for the sake of a change does not make things
> better for no good reason
>
> the author of tcpwrapper is Wietse Venema, the perosn who created
> and maintains postfix - frankly if only 1% of the software out

So, you do realise that the same Wietse Venema who wrote and then
stopped maintaining tcpwrappers is the one who didn't add *any*
tcpwrappers support to Postfix? To this day Postfix doesn't do
tcpwrappers. Probably for a good reason, don't you think?

> most of the replacements in the last few years could have been
> becakward compatible if the developers would not be too lazy
> to care about

Wietse is such a lazy person that he didn't had hosts.allow/.deny
compatibility support to Postfix, isn't he?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat