Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 04:19:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>wrote:

> You do realize that if software engineering has shown something then
> yes, software development is never finished, it's a process. You do need
> maintains for such things.

The software in my microwave oven, coffee maker, thermostat, DVD player,
stereo receiver, and many processors in my car (including engine control,
antilock brakes, and many others) is quite definitely finished.  That's not
to say that there aren't any bugs, but the vendors aren't sending me any
updated versions.  That's an existence proof that software *can* be "good
enough" and not need updates.  Granted, most software is not "good enough",
but the lack of updates to a piece of software is not sufficient to
establish a priori that the software should be discarded.