Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 22 13:41:09 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 02:59:20AM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> No, firewalls don't do DNS-based filtering, since it's a security nightmare.

Lennart, this isn't true as a general statement. Both Juniper and Cisco
firewalls support FQDN-based access rules. Looks like Palo Alto Networks too
although I have not used those.

Of course, this doesn't demonstrate that it's a good idea, just that it is
actually something people use and which there is demand for. If anything,
though, I think this makes me less concerned about deprecating tcp_wrappers
since people can find equivalent functionality elsewhere if they want it.
(And, I think you could do it on Linux with dnsmasq's ipset functionality if
you really wanted to.)