What will happen to XFCE, LXDE, Mate, Cinnemon in Fedora.Next

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 23 02:29:43 UTC 2014

Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> The most common user case would to install a spin with DE you want to use.
> I dont think it matter much if Gnome software support installation of
> evironments.
> most other DE spins uses LightDM, so if you want a more lightweight DE,
> you don't
> install the Gnome Desktop first and then install ex. XCFE.

Yeah, this idea of having to install GNOME first to be able to install the
desktop you actually want is totally wacky, and if that is really what we
recommend to our users, they will run to other distributions (that actually
support the desktop environment they care about with a dedicated installable
live image) in droves. Really, almost all users are NOT going to put up with
this. You need to be really determined to want to run Fedora to jump through
such ridiculous hoops, most people will just look elsewhere.

And this is really true independently of the desktop environment we are
talking about (except maybe things such as WM-only setups whose users are
used to tweaking things by hand anyway).

        Kevin Kofler