F21 System Wide Change: Java 8

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 15:41:14 UTC 2014

On 03/22/2014 06:15 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> Given the known large number of failures (OptionalJavadocs says "80% build
> failure rate" without saying that all are JavaDoc-related), we really
> should do a mass rebuild to identify which packages fail to build *and* to
> file bugs soonish, instead of waiting for a Fedora-wide mass rebuild and
> then scrambling to fix dozens/hundreds of build failures in to avoid
> slipping the schedule.  We don't necessarily need an official one, perhaps
> only in a never-to-be-merged side tag (or even scratch builds?)

Agreed.

To do a rebuild in Koji Java 8 must land in there first.  That can could
be a separate tag, but rel-eng is quite reluctant to provide them.

Copr could be a better place to do the rebuild.  One big advantage is
that it doesn't use any ARM builders, but on the other hand it has quite
limited capacity (AFAIK 10 builders only).

Besides that, there is already one approved change [1] which requires
rebuilding most of Java packages.  We didn't do a mass rebuild for it
yet because we wanted to sync with Java 8 rebuild.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/HeadlessJava