F21 System Wide Change: Java 8

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 15:55:18 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 04:49 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 03/22/2014 06:15 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>>> Given the known large number of failures (OptionalJavadocs says "80% build
>>> failure rate" without saying that all are JavaDoc-related), we really
>>> should do a mass rebuild to identify which packages fail to build *and* to
>>> file bugs soonish, instead of waiting for a Fedora-wide mass rebuild and
>>> then scrambling to fix dozens/hundreds of build failures in to avoid
>>> slipping the schedule.  We don't necessarily need an official one, perhaps
>>> only in a never-to-be-merged side tag (or even scratch builds?)
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> To do a rebuild in Koji Java 8 must land in there first.  That can could
>> be a separate tag, but rel-eng is quite reluctant to provide them.
>
> java 8 is already in the main repos and had been there since F-19.
> It's just not providing things like java-devel and hence isn't used by
> default in the build process.

That's exactly the problem.  We need to use a modified version of
java-1.8.0-openjdk with extra provides and adjusted priorities for
alternatives.  Blocking java-1.7.0-oepnjdk may also be required.  This
makes it impossible to scratch-build Java packages using f21-build
target in current state.

>> Copr could be a better place to do the rebuild.  One big advantage is
>> that it doesn't use any ARM builders, but on the other hand it has quite
>> limited capacity (AFAIK 10 builders only).
>
> That's not an advantage, building ARM packages is a requirement of
> something in primary architecture. Also you can't tag copr builds in
> Fedora. You need to use a koji f21 side tag.

I was talking talking about doing scratch builds to identify packages
failing to build with Java 8.  Java 8 change does *not* require mass
rebuild in Fedora.  Great majority of packages will work with Java 8
with no change.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski