leading vs. bleeding [was Re: Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 25 13:24:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 09:17:20PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > For the record Fedora is not a bleeding edge distro anymore or first in anything
> maybe some people should consider the difference between "leading" and "bleeding"
> smart: leading if things are ready
> dumb:  bleeding for any price

I agree with Harald here. I think some people have always wanted it to be,
but Fedora never really has been chartered to be "bleeding". To quote the
"first" foundation more fully:

  First represents our commitment to innovation. We are not content to let
  others do all the heavy lifting on our behalf; we provide the latest in
  stable and robust, useful, and powerful free software in our Fedora
  distribution.

Note "latest in stable and robust", not "latest bleeding edge". There is
supposed to be a balance here.