NetworkManager "forget" user network configurations: bug or feature?

Sergio Belkin sebelk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:53:49 UTC 2014

> On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 16:19 -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> > Hi Fedora folks,
> >
> > Since NetworkManager I suffer the same issue, release after release, ok,
> > it's not a Fedora issue
> >
> > If I preserve the home partition and perform a newly installation, eg
> > f19->f20 NetworkManager configurations per user are lost. I think that
> > NM should respect the user settings and not "happily" send them to trash.
> >
> > But what do you think? What is the rationale of saving user
> > configurations in the /etc directory?
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Um. Are you sure this is what is happening? Are you sure these aren't
> set as systemwide connections?
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin . net
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

Adam,

I've found that by default when I create a user, the checkbox in
NetworkManager that says

"All users may connect to this network" is checked!

If I uncheck anyway the network configuration files are in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

Really I don't understand this behavior (using mate-desktop on F20)

Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org