What will happen to XFCE, LXDE, Mate, Cinnemon in Fedora.Next

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 25 20:07:20 UTC 2014

Adam Williamson wrote:
> I think this is rather overstating the case. I certainly don't think
> (and I already wrote) that it's enough to make everyone happy, but I
> think it actually is what some people want. Quite a lot of people
> install Ubuntu, for instance, and then add on GNOME or KDE or something
> as a secondary environment to play around with: they want to have the
> 'standard product' installed, and another desktop available as a kind of
> alternative on top of that, or they just want to make sure they have all
> the 'standard' bits installed under/alongside their chosen desktop in
> case anything else is expecting them (the "platform" approach).
>
> Saying that "nobody" wants this, it's "madness", "totally wacky",
> "almost all users are NOT going to put up with this" is going rather too
> far. I think it's entirely worth the Desktop product making this
> possible and I suspect quite a lot of people will use it, but I don't
> think it's sufficient grounds for downgrading the spins too far in
> importance or dropping them.

You're misunderstanding me here. My point is NOT that it should not be
POSSIBLE to add other desktops to an installed system. OF COURSE that should
be possible! I have always opposed any attempts at making the different
desktop environments mutually exclusive (see also NM 0.9 and BlueZ 5, where
in both cases I got the plans to ship both the old and new version in such a
way that the desktop environments would have conflicted with each other at
RPM level blocked).

My point is that it must ALSO be possible to install the preferred desktop
directly, without installing GNOME first.

        Kevin Kofler