What will happen to XFCE, LXDE, Mate, Cinnemon in Fedora.Next

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 25 21:09:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 09:41:19PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> I said it's "madness" and "totally wacky" to NOT HAVE THE OPTION of
>> installing your desktop directly, before first installing GNOME. That is
>> also what I said "almost all users are NOT going to put up with".
>
> I haven't heard anyone suggesting that, so it seems like a lot of madness
> and wackiness about nothing.

In the context of Workstation, KDE (or any other DE) inclusion has
been discussed as being available through software-installer.  If that
is the only option, then it would mean GNOME must be installed and
booted into to run software-installer to install KDE.  I'm personally
unsure if the live image installation can handle multiple DEs.  Even
if that isn't the only install option, most of the GNOME stack is
still required to be installed.

josh