Let's close the remaining merge reviews

Parag N(पराग़) panemade at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 02:43:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/25/2014 08:42 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:

>>> Alternative idea -- maybe identify all packages which are not ciritcal
>>> and
>>> have an open merge review.  Take those packages out of the repository.
>>>

>> What does that solve? How does that benefit anybody?
>>
>>> Then revisit the list and formulate a plan on what to do with thoes (even
>>> if
>>> the plan is then, these were critical enough to leave in so we'll give
>>> them
>>> a pass on going through a formal review).
>>>

>> The original premise of these tickets makes sense. But here we are 7+
>> years
>> later. The spec we would review today is in many cases nothing like the
>> spec
>> when the bug was filed. Why should these packages be subject to a review
>> _now_
>> when there's a thousand packages in the repo that saw an initial review,
>> and
>> are then left entirely alone for 6 years? Because 7 years ago we merged
>> core
>> and extras? I'm not convinced.
>>
>> The bottom line IMO is that these bugs are generating very little benefit,
>> and
>> are actively detrimental. They shouldn't be given any extra weight for
>> history's sake.
>>
>> - Cole
>>
> I concur. Let's close those bugs.

If those packages are still not following current packaging guidelines
then they should not be closed otherwise what is the use of FPC and
their work, meetings, updating wiki pages all these efforts will be of
no use then for existing packages in Fedora. FPC work will remain only
for newer package submissions.

Regards,
Parag.