F21 System Wide Change: Java 8

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 13:41:36 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 06:45 PM, Omair Majid wrote:
> * Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk at redhat.com> [2014-03-24 11:41]:
>> On 03/22/2014 06:15 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>>> Given the known large number of failures (OptionalJavadocs says "80% build
>>> failure rate" without saying that all are JavaDoc-related), we really
>>> should do a mass rebuild to identify which packages fail to build *and* to
>>> file bugs soonish, instead of waiting for a Fedora-wide mass rebuild and
>>> then scrambling to fix dozens/hundreds of build failures in to avoid
>>> slipping the schedule.  We don't necessarily need an official one, perhaps
>>> only in a never-to-be-merged side tag (or even scratch builds?)
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> Should I update the proposal to clarify that a mass rebuild is required,
> then?

I don't think that a mass rebuild is *required* for this feature.
Packages built with Java 7 should still work with Java 8.

What I said is that it may be nice to do scratch builds of some packages
because they may start failing to build with Java 8.
Some of our CI efforts already caught a few FTBFS caused by switching to
Java 8, for example hadoop[1] or maven-doxia[2].

The earlier we do the scratch builds the more time we'll have to fix any
failures before system-wide mass rebuild comes.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/bigdata/2014-March/000391.html
[2] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=6674018

--
Mikolaj Izdebski