F21 System Wide Change: Java 8

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 16:11:37 UTC 2014

On Wed 26 Mar 2014 01:19:52 PM CET Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 07:59:13PM -0400, Christopher wrote:
>> I also would like to see 1.7.0 stick around for awhile. Not
>> necessarily as the default, but at least available in the repos. As it
>> stands, it's difficult to use a modern Fedora on projects that are
>> still developing against JDK 1.6.
>
> This sounds like a situation where a Software Collection might be useful.

Doesn't make sense IMO, JDKs can already live in parallel as they
are. That's not to say that SCLs could not be used, but traditionally we
have different solution and migrating to SCLs would likely bring its own
set of problems.

Actually as far as runtime is concerned, JDK is one of the most
backward-compat tested software on Earth (most likely). The only
applications that break are the ones that use internal implementation
details or some *really* weird approaches.

For building, you can still generate code for older JVMs with JDK8. Of
course those JVMs will likely not be able to run at least part of our
Java stack but that's another thing...

If Atlassian suite breaks: it's most likely their bug.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241