NetworkManager "forget" user network configurations: bug or feature?

Sergio Belkin sebelk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:57:15 UTC 2014

El 26/03/14 12:45, Stephen John Smoogen escribió:

> On 25 March 2014 13:53, Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com
> <mailto:sebelk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Adam,
>
>     I've found that by default when I create a user, the checkbox in
>     NetworkManager that says
>
>     "All users may connect to this network" is checked!
>
>     If I uncheck anyway the network configuration files are in
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
>
>     Really I don't understand this behavior (using mate-desktop on F20)
>

> I believe the reason for this is due to various users who have their
> home directories on network mounted systems (even if only the user is
> the only one to set up the network connection.) If the data was stored
> in the home directory then the network could not start to thus mount
> the home directory to get the account. A similar problem occurs if the
> /home is encrypted separately from the root partition.
>
> In general, I just make sure that /root /etc and /home are backed up
> when I move from OS version to OS version so that I don't lose stuff I
> might need later.
> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.

Hmmm... but NetworkManager should think in desktop users (ok, somewhat
power desktop users) that install a new release/distro and a user
configuration should be completely independent. Or at least give the
chance to save either systemwide or "userwide". Anyway thanks for your
answers and ideas, I understand that all of this is somewhat Off-Topic :)

Cheers

--
Sergio Belkin
Certificado Linux LPIC-2